Thursday, October 9, 2008

Teething, Appendicitis, and Strep! Oh My!

Did you read that title correctly? Yeah, you unfortunately did. Sure, our camera batteries have been on the blink lately and we've been unable to get any pictures, but for the past couple of weeks we have all been out of commission. :o/ Hallie had a runny nose and icky cough--due to teething (cutting the eye teeth), I'm guessing b/c it never really slowed her down. Then last Monday Jonathan took himself to the doctor--a sure sign that he's not quite feeling up to par--with severe stomach pains. Turns out he had appendicitis and had to have an emergency appendectomy. Geez. So, he was seen around noon, sent for bloodwork and stomach x-rays, told the diagnosis was inconclusive based on the x-rays and sent for a sonogram. This showed a sick appendix and he was then sent to the hospital for admittance. Poor guy. This all happened in just a couple of hours. Oh, and he threw up a lot in those couple of hours, too. Again...poor guy! Around 5:30, he was wheeled away for surgery prep.
Around 6:45, we got the news that his appendix was sicker than the surgeon had thought, but that everything looked great. A lot of cleaning was done and he was in recovery. He had a laparoscopic appendectomy. He was discharged on Tuesday afternoon and has been lounging around, letting himself heal. He's doing much better now. :o)

I started feeling crummy on Thursday. I had been staying home with Jonathan since the whole appendectomy situation and was dreading going back to work on Friday--mostly b/c it was a lot of fun to be home with my two favorite people (we kept Hallie home with us). My throat was sore and I was running a low-grade fever, but I didn't feel like I could take any more days so went on to school on Friday. I felt progressively worse and Jonathan scheduled an appointment for me Friday afternoon. Fever--yes. Step test--positive. I got a nice, strong shot of antibiotics. Yay for shots! :o) I'm feeling much better.

Needless to say, it has been a long week or so. But it looks like we're all on the mend!

No comments: