Tuesday, July 13, 2010

June Part II (and July)

So...a quick recap.  I finished up the school year and my parents and sweet niece, Abby, came to visit for a week.  After their visit, Hallie and I went back to Alabama with Nonna, Pop, and Abby.  We visited for a week and then Jonathan joined us.  We spent another week (with Daddy) in Alabama relaxing and enjoying the slowness of it all. :o)  Daddy had to head back to Texas and Hallie and I stayed an extra week.  Pure bliss!  There was more swimming, more relaxing, more doing nothing, and more visiting with family and friends.  Completely wonderful times!  Hallie even talked Pop into going swimming with her. :o)  We hated to leave sweet home Alabama, but we were getting homesick for Daddy, Gramps, RahRah, and our own beds...though we totally could have stayed another week in Alabama! ;o)

We completely enjoyed our visit with my parents--it was a much needed break for me.  It's almost as if the second I step into my parents' house, the stress of every day stuff just rolls completely off me.  The joy of getting to walk out onto the screened in porch and then onto the back patio to take in the view of tall trees, complete greenery and a beautiful pool is...well, it's lovely.  While in Alabama, I got to FIVE books!  I loved it!  Since being back in Waco, I have struggled to finish the one book I bought before I left Alabama.  And it's a great book (The Lucky One by Nicolas Sparks)...I just haven't found the time (or relaxing spot) to take in the book.

While in Alabama, my BFFSK (Best Friend Forever Since Kindergarten--LOL) Kyetra (Key-tra) just happened to be in Alabama, too.  Awesome!  It was wonderful to get to spend some time with her, see her little guy, Taft, and then make the visit that we've been needing to make for some time.  One of our childhood friends, Walter, was diagnosed with ALS a few years ago.  Let me just say...Walter was the kind of guy who could make anybody smile.  He was one of the funniest people we (or any of our other friends) knew.  He was a great guy.  When we were in 3rd or 4th grade (I can't remember), he moved from Florida to Alabama.  He was the new kid.  And he had a funny accent.  Well, he was quickly liked by all b/c of his witty sense of humor (read: He was THE class clown).  For some reason, he and I would pick on each other endlessly.  He'd call me Miss Piggy and I'd call him Boss Hog.  We were friends, though. :o)  So...Kyetra and I went to visit Walter.  I'm not sure how long he had been bedridden at our point of visiting...but his sweet wife woke him so he could visit with us.  It was wonderful--despite the scratchy voice that didn't quite sound like the Walter either of us remembered, he was the same sweet, witty guy everyone loved.  Walter passed away July 2 at his home.  He left behind a wife, Christy, and two elementary-aged children, Ford and Marley.  Per his request, there was no service.  It was said that he didn't want to put his family through a service after all they had already been through...he didn't want anyone crying over him.  Please keep his family in your prayers.

I didn't mention it before, but during our first week in Alabama, my grandmother (my dad's mom) was hospitalized--she is such a strong lady.  Love her!  She had been having trouble breathing due to fluid around her heart for about 2 weeks...she had been sleeping sitting straight up b/c if she laid down, it was hard for her to breathe.  At some point, it was bothersome enough to actually go to the doctor...and he immediately put her in the hospital.  She was released a few days later and now has a little oxygen machine.  Some of her children put in a window A/C unit and a ceiling fan in her living room.  Believe it or not, her house has never had an A/C unit (well, I take that back, there was one for my grandfather before he passed away, I do believe)...so this is a big deal.  But the cooler air will definitely help her breathe better.  She is still spunky, but moving a little slower.  We would all appreciate your prayers for her--she isn't one to want to prolong her life.  She's ready to go HOME and see her husband (and other family); but being selfish, we all just want a little bit longer--especially those of us who don't get to see her quite often enough.  With that said, we saw Mawmaw a few times while we were visiting Alabama.  She has 12 children, MANY grandchildren (I should really count that up), and several great-grandchildren.  She is definitely blessed. Hallie got to entertain her (and Mawmaw's sister, Granny Dell) quite a bit. :o)

For the Fourth of July, we went to my aunt Amanda's and uncle Mike's place down by the river (that's just how we southerners say it--lol).  It was, of course, beautiful.  Lots of green pastures, a beautiful river, lots of trees.  Hallie LOVED it.  She did get called a "city girl" when she didn't like walking around in the mud and dirt...lol...but she enjoyed playing in the "dirty water" (the river) and chasing around a few cousins.  It was wonderful to see some aunts, uncles, and cousins!

We hated to say good-bye...but we're adjusting to it being just Hallie and me at home during the day.  We're getting used to not walking outside to a sparkling pool or having our meals cooked for us and our laundry done so neatly.  LOL.  We miss my mom and dad, but it's good to be home.

Besides...we'll be back in September for Stacey and Wes's wedding! :o)



No comments: