Sunday, August 14, 2011

Faith of a Child


This is the face of a little girl who believes...believes that God answers our prayers.  She experienced that first hand this afternoon.  And I'm not sure who was blessed more--Hallie or me!

On the way home from school (yes, I was at school today working in my classroom), there were lots of gray clouds in the sky.  As I've mentioned before, it hasn't rained a good shower in a while here.  I said to Hallie, "Look at those clouds!  Why don't we pray that God would make it rain because it hasn't rained in a long time!"  She excitedly cheered, "Yeah!  OK!"  Here's her sweet, little prayer:

"Dear-a God...please let it rain.  Please let it rain so the flowers can grow.  Thank you.  Amen."  

And while she was praying, I silently prayed that God would listen to her and let it rain so that she could see first-hand that God does, in fact, answer our prayers.  We have had big, heavy clouds recently, and they produced nothing but a little relief from the blazing sun.  I'm the one who doubted it would rain...not Hallie.  So about 10-15 minutes later when we saw drops of wet stuff on the windsheild, I was the one who was surprised.  Not Hallie...she was *thrilled*!   I mean, she was beyond excited.  After a couple of raindrops, I figured it would stop.  Again, I silently prayed that it would pour rain.  By the time we pulled into the garage, it was pouring rain!  Hallie couldn't contain her excitement.  When she got out of the car, she exclaimed (and I really mean exclaimed), "Mommy!  God hear-ed me!  He understood me!!"  She ran inside as fast as she could to tell Jonathan that God listened to her prayer.

For the 20 minute rain shower, we all stood outside and simply watched it rain (well, Hallie went inside and put her swimsuit on to enjoy the summer shower)...thanking God for the rain, and thanking Him for answering our prayers.  I was blessed today by the faith of a child.  And I was blessed by her excitement of recognizing that God heard her prayer.

No comments: