Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hamburgers in the Rain Forest?

Granny Dell and Nonna took Hallie and me to the airport Sunday morning (March 19).  We really didn't have that much time to dilly dally before our flight left.  When we got to the American Airlines ticket counter, my bag was five pounds overweight.  So I had to rearrange and remove some things from the bag.  It ended up being 51 pounds, and they had to tag it "HEAVY".  Had it been 50 pounds, they wouldn't have tagged it.  So funny to me.  After checking in and paying my $25 for my checked bag, we said our teary good-byes and headed to our gate.  Oh, I didn't mention that they didn't have assigned seats for us and that we'd have to get them at the gate.  Yes...the flight was overbooked.  Imagine that.  Sigh.  So expecting the worst, I walked up to the counter for our assignments.  The guy handed me our tickets and it said "Priority Boarding".  I know some airlines still allow parents with little kids to board early.  So I asked about this...and to my surprise, the guy said, "Oh, well, you don't have to worry about that...you're in First Class...you can board now."  At first I was a little excited about that. Then I realized that the people in First Class might not appreciate a rather rambunctious five year old in their "safe haven".  Luckily, we were in the very first seats, so no one in front of us to kick and disturb.  After getting settled in, Hallie started coloring and I began thinking of the yummy snacks we'd have being in First Class (I have only one other time been in First Class, and that was flying home from Wyoming after meeting Jonathan).  However, much to my surprise (again, but not in a good way) the stewardess began explaining that there would be no snacks on this flight due to unforeseen circumstances in catering services, but that drinks would be limited to some sodas, water, and coffee.  Great.  I didn't have the first snack for Hallie in my bag besides some chocolate candy Granny Dell sent with us.  After take-off, the stewardess came up to me, bent down and in a whisper said this:  There was a murder this morning at DFW.  I gasped and asked, "And we're heading there?"!  She continued:  Well, it wasn't really at the airport.  When we were at DFW this morning before heading here, we couldn't get any food from catering services because they were all dirty...there had been a murder in the catering department and the catering services was blocked off as a crime scene!  I was speechless.  Oh my word!  Needless to say, I didn't really want any snacks after that.

We landed at DFW around 12:30 pm.  Daddy picked us up and we headed to Grapevine Mills.  I had never been there before...WOW!  What a mall.  I must go back there soon! :o)  We had planned to have lunch at Rainforest Cafe for an "end of Spring Break treat" for Hallie.  Thanks to the Hubs for calling and making the reservations (I hate talking on the phone to people I don't know...that's right, I don't even like ordering pizza!).  I am SO glad we had reservations...word of advice:  If you plan on going, make reservations.  There were people who just walked up and put their name on the list.  Their wait was over an hour.  I guess if you don't mind just milling around the mall, it wouldn't be a huge deal.  But that wasn't our plan.  Of course, after we ate lunch, we did walk around all the "neighborhoods" to see what stores there were.  But honestly, I was just ready to get home after a while.  All the carrying of bags and keeping up with Hallie at the airport just about did me in.  Like I said, I'd like to go back sometime b/c it was definitely a neat mall.  They have an aquarium there and LegoLand (Hallie would LOVE this!).

I think we had a great end to our Spring Break!  Glad to be back home with Daddy!

No comments: